Monday, February 23, 2015

singing

Singing, she was singing when I first saw her. Like a songbird or a pastiche of some unknown Disney princess, Olivia warbled out a charmingly off-key rendition of “96 Tears”. She may also have been twirling about, sound-of-music style, too. I think she thought she was alone. It was rather early in the morning, and that overgrown park was rarely visited.

She wore a lime green sweater and a purple toboggan. Her smiling brown eyes grew wide as she spun about and saw me. The rosy kiss of winter on her round cheeks flashed quickly into a beet red blush. She wobbled a bit but regained her balance and grinned.

I’d like to say it was love at first sight, but I don’t think that’s true. I’m skeptical of such a phenomenon existing outside of fiction, but love did fall fairly rapidly into place. She was interesting and tended to follow her own odd ideas and impulses completely through. When the idea to turn a stone came to her, that stone could not be left unturned.

It would have been hard to imagine then what Olivia would become. She hid her mouth behind her hand and could not stop laughing in the morning sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment